I’m a terrible cook. No, seriously…when my husband and I were first married, cereal and grilled cheese were a staple in the house. Being a new wife while playing college soccer, finishing my final semester of college, and student teaching all while finding out I was pregnant was tough! Keeping up with cooking a decent meal was definitely not my forte. I was too busy. I was too tired, and I was way to inexperienced to be able to make something quick that I didn’t end up wanting to feed to the dog. Then I met my saving grace: the Crock-Pot.
You know what’s absolutely wonderful about the slow cooker? It’s nearly impossible to make a meal that sucks. All you have to do is dump everything but the kitchen sink inside, turn that sucker on “low,” check on it in a few hours, and bon appétit! After experimenting and Pinteresting (as I do best), I found some recipes that my family of picky eaters, health nuts, and junk food fanatics absolutely love! Here are my top 5 favorite Crock-Pot recipes that will be sure to please in your house too!
- Pumpkin Chili – I can seriously devour this amazingly healthy chili recipe. I mean, who doesn’t love pumpkin? I’m totally obsessed with pumpkin, so the fact that I can add this into a healthy dinner staple is amazing.
2. Butternut Squash Soup – I think my favorite part about the butternut squash soup is you can easily make it both dairy and gluten free. Coconut milk has become one of my favorite “must haves” in our kitchen and it helps make this recipe have a unique taste! As a huge fan of dairy and gluten free options, this is great for my family! It’s light, but filling and easy to make. I really enjoy adding pumpkin seeds, pecans, or walnuts to mine!
3. Apple Pork Tenderloin – I’m not even a huge fan of pork, but this is a hit at my house for sure! With the soy sauce and maple, it’s the perfect combination of sweet and salty. The apples are what make this recipe even better for kids especially! This does take a little bit longer to cook (6-8 hours on low), but it’s the perfect meal (like most slow cooker recipes) because you can throw it in and not have to think about it! Make a side of mashed sweet potatoes and a fresh salad to make it complete.
4. Apple Spice Dump Cake – A recipe straight from my family to yours! We are HUGE apple lovers in my family and when I’m looking for a dessert that’s quick and simple but tastes like Martha Stewart made it, this is my go to recipe. It’s best with a side of vanilla ice cream or caramel drizzled on top.
- 2 cans of apple pie filling
- 1 box of spice cake mix
- 1 stick of butter
- Empty the cans of apple pie filling into the Crock-Pot.
- Dump the box of dry spice cake mix on top of the apple pie filling.
- Cut the stick of butter into cubes and sprinkle onto the cake mix.
- Turn the slow cooker on “high” and wait about 2 1/2 hours or until the top of the cake mix looks golden brown.
5. Bourbon and Brown Sugar Sweet Potato Casserole – I‘m not sure if this tastes so amazing because it’s super sweet or because there’s alcohol involved, but it’s a huge hit during the holiday season at my house! The bourbon is subtle, but adds enough punch to make this dish a family favorite. If alcohol isn’t your thing, it’s still awesome without it!
These slow cooker recipes are sure to be new favorites during the cooler months! Simple and easy are two key components to making cooking successful for me, and the Crock-Pot always saves the day when it comes to that!