Valentine’s Day will always hold a special place in my heart, as it’s when my husband asked me to be his “official” girlfriend (we were 16 at the time!). But as I get older Valentine’s Day just doesn’t have the same allure as when I was younger….spending $6 on a Valentine’s Day card from Target, plus a box of half decent chocolates isn’t really speaking my love language at this stage in life.
I do think it’s important to do special things with your significant other (and a monthly date night is on the books for us!) but at this point we would rather spend money budgeted for Valentine’s Day on something special from us to our toddler.
However, a few years ago a girlfriend asked me if I wanted to get together in February to celebrate GALentine’s Day, something I had never heard of until then.
Urban dictionary defines Galentine’s Day as a day, usually February 13th, to celebrate your love for your fellow girlfriends!
And I think we can all agree that (at least if you’re in the early years of mothering), seeing your girlfriends is something that rarely happens but should happen more.
So this year, reach out to your besties and plan a few hours this month to celebrate each other with Galentine’s Day! Schedule a sitter or make sure your significant other is home with the kiddos so you can get some quality one on one time with your ladies!
A few ideas to help you and your friends celebrate Galentine’s Day:
- Happy hour at a new place you’ve been dying to try out (duh!)
- Hiking followed by fresh juice or acai bowls at Nektar
- Fancy coffee to go + mani/pedis
- A workout class you’ve never taken before (always less intimidating when you’re friend is with you)
- Craft night at someone’s house
- A cooking class
- Brunch with HOT coffee!
- A spa treatment at a local resort, plus some lounge time by the pool
- Pajama party on someone’s couch with a bottle of wine
- A day trip up north to explore
Anyone else celebrate Galentine’s Day with your girlfriends? Who’s going to start?!