Dating is hard. Dating after you’ve had kids is even harder. It’s a stressful process to get a babysitter, plan dinner and a movie into your budget, and leave the house while you hear the baby screaming. Date nights at home are something a little bit more reasonable when you’re a parent with young children. They’re less expensive, typically, and you don’t have to leave the kids with a babysitter. But, while they are a great idea, they’re not always that realistic. If I’m being honest, my toddler is at my side every step I take while I’m wearing the baby in a sling. This goes on until bedtime and by the time I’ve wrestled the toddler into bed, the tiniest little one is waking up to eat. Before we realize, it’s 10 o’clock and we’re both exhausted. So, in our case, there’s one easy and fun solution … involve the kids.
Here are 10 fun and cheap date night ideas you can have at home! This list should make it easy for you to be be romantic with your partner… and have your kids join in on the fun.
- The Question Game: This game is something my husband and I have been playing since we met! You simply ask a question about the other person. Any question at all! It’s easy to make kid appropriate, and you are constantly learning a little bit more about the other people playing. Questions can be as simple as, “What’s your favorite color?” and get more complicated like, “If you could be anyone else for a day, who would you be and why?”
- Power Outage: Turn off all of the lights. No cell phones. No movies. No electronics. Light some candles and have some fun. You can play hide and seek in the dark, build a fort and pretend you’re camping in the living room, and more. The best part? After the kids go to bed it’s a romantic way to start the rest of the night.
- Movie in the Yard: You can buy a simple projector and screen like this one on Amazon to play a family movie. Set up with popcorn, candy, and a comfy pillow.
- Play Restaurant: Sometimes cooking with the kids is hard, but something simple like making your own pizzas is fun and tasty. You can let the kids design menus and be the servers while you are the chef too!
- Paint Night: Wine for mom and dad and apple juice for the kiddos. Get the paints out and have fun designing some new artwork for the house together.
- Horse: One of my favorite memories as a kid was playing HORSE with my parents in the driveway. We didn’t play basketball, so we were terrible and the game was hilarious because of it.
- Bonfire: Roast hot dogs for dinner and s’mores for desert.
- Youtube Dance Lessons: Find some kid friendly dance tutorials like this one and shake a tail feather!
- Look at Old Pictures and Videos: It’s a great way to involve the kids in memories.
- Karaoke: Have some fun singing as a family together in the living room.
Being romantic is something that I want to make sure my kids learn from my husband and me so they are romantic with their spouse when they’re married someday. What do you do to teach your kids about romance? What are some of your favorite date nights? Comment below to share some of your ideas!